At Nash's we are lucky to have Rosalie McGowan. A student out of Georgian College she was hired to Nash's back in June of 2006. She is a master goldsmith specializing in alterations and repairs. Also a fully qualified laser technician. Rose has her own shop in the upstairs of Nash's new building giving us the ability to have the majority of jobs done on site and quickly.
Jewellery is meant to be enjoyed, and can be for generations. But there are certain things to keep in mind:
1. Have your pieces checked and cleaned on a regular basis - for basic jewellery It is recommended every 6 months. For something more ornate It is recommended about every 3 months.
2. Pearls - "The last thing you put on and the first thing you take off". Keep pearls away from moisture, hairsprays, perfumes, etc. With stud earrings the pearls are glued on to a post so keeping them out of water is important to keep the glue in tact.
3. Take your jewellery off when doing anything that can harm them. Metal on metal will scratch and wear down your items
4. Seperate your pieces for storage - Metals and gemstones touching each other can scratch and damage each other due to the different hardness of each.
5. Insurance - It is important to have your pieces appraised in case of a loss. This gives the specifics and images to ensure that you're getting proper replacement.
* Not all pieces are repairable. The staff and goldsmith do their best to take every piece, but in the event that we have to turn down a piece of jewellery due to the liability of working on it please accept our apology. Sometimes it's better to go back to where it was made, or the people that supplied the item to you as opposed to Nash's trying to fix something that could turn in to more of an issue during repair, or down the road.